Sunday, November 18, 2012

Thankful

There is this sense of peace you get when you let go of the tension, the weight, the fear you have been carrying, even though you have been in denial that you have been shouldering it. That is how I am feeling now.

Laura had surgery on Friday. It wasn't major, just some adjustments really, to repair the hole in her ear drum and release her tongue-tie. She is fine and is back to her usual self already. I am not surprised. She is a resilient kid, full of a quiet determination that shall serve her well no matter what the obstacle.

The procedures were elective. She could have gone on alright without them. Maybe that's why I was so anxious. It was my call to make. Did I need to put her through this?  A general anesthetic?  A degree of risk?  What if something went wrong?  So I spent much of my Thursday in a bit of a fog, random morbid thoughts of what-ifs and is-this-the last-time-I-get-to worries going through my head.  Reason won over my fears but I carried the weight. 

Friday rolled around and Laura was so good.  Yes, she was anxious at times.  The staff at CHEO are amazing and know all about how to work with kids and their anxious parents.  I love CHEO.  I love her doctor.  The surgery went quickly and well.  I am so thankful.

CHEO Teddy Bear Picnic photo from Citizen
ottawacitizen.com


2 comments:

  1. I am glad to hear it went well. I would have felt the same way you did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eve had minor surgery at CHEO when she was three to repair an extra sinus in her ear. The doctor was awesome, and the other parents in the waiting room, many of whom had children there for much more serious matters, were unbelievably sweet and supportive. It's nice when something anxiety-generating like that is over and you get to the giddy relief stage.

    ReplyDelete