Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Honest Scrap Award Thingy

Oh happy day! They like me! They really like me.... or at least someone knows I exist.  Which is nice for a little blog newby. Two friends passed on this award to me this week!  A big thanks to Lynn at turtlehead for giving me the Honest Scrap Award, taking the time to read my posts and being so nice and supportive when she comments.  Also a big thanks to Anna at Life Is Good … At The Beach.  She’s a great person to know in the real world as well as in blog-land.  I am always inspired by her creativity and warm personality.  Cheers ladies!

The Honest Scrap Award Rules say that I must:

1. Brag about the award.
2. Include the name of the blogger who gave you the award and link back to that blogger.
3. Choose a selection of blogs that you find brilliant in honest content.
4. Show their names and links and leave a comment informing them that they were prized with this award.
5. List at least ten honest things about yourself.

So here it goes. I'm going with 10 "I believe" things so you can get a peek into my quirky foundation of being.

1. I believe the "I Believe" song was a little too overplayed during the 2010 Olympics on our Canadian networks. Don't get me wrong. It is a catchy tune with a lovely heart-warming, sappy message. I hummed it way too much but after a while the dread started to wear in. Like when you have pizza for the 5th day in a row - great at first but a big turnoff by the end. Even the school was piping it into the halls in the mornings to inspire the kids, so they hummed it all day too. Overload.

2. I believe that there is such a thing as Karma.  From this I mean that you become a better person by being better to others.  Often this reaps reward in others helping you out or simply feeling better about you day.  I am a person of faith (Christian) but most of my spiritual beliefs are based on leading a real life of kindness and love.  Sounds a little flakey but it works for me. 

3. I believe that success is when you live up to your own dreams and potential, not what society deems successful.  It took a while to understand this.  From time to time I feel inadequate being a SAHM and not using my degree for the betterment of the world.  But I am thrilled to have this wonderful window of time to help my kids live up to their potential and all that.  I am lucky to be able to afford to do so.  Now I am embracing the SAHM challenge, …most days.

4.  I believe all talents have value.  I have come to appreciate the smaller things so much more lately.  My son has Asperger’s Syndrome which is frustrating at times but also totally joyful.  His talents are atypical.  His memory can be amazing and he loves music.  He is so passionate at times I think he might burst from excitement.  These are talents that may or may not have practical applications but I know are important. 

5. I believe the sum is often better than the parts.  Like peanut butter and chocolate.  Triple yum!  Although pure chocolate does have it’s place at the pinnacle of decadence….  OK, sometimes the sum is great than it’s parts.  I think I will have to go to the kitchen and experiment with this hypothesis now….

6. I believe in the power of family.  I am part of an immediate family and an extended family that loves me for who I am.  I know they are people I can depend on.  We are not perfect and that is part of our charm.  We have been through much laughter and tears, joy and frustration but we are always together, unconditionally.

7. I believe in the power of friendship.  Friends play such an important part in our lives.  Whether they touch us daily, we only get to see them on occasion or even if we have only met online, they help complete us.  One of the things I like about getting older is that I am making new friends all the time.  I moved to Ottawa about a year and a half ago now and have already met some remarkable people who I am proud to call my friends.  The women I met when my children were babies are woven deep into my soul now and I am so lucky to have grown with them through those times.  Heck, I am even reconnecting with long lost friends on Facebook.  Everlasting. 

8.  I believe going back to nature can be one of the most centering things you can do.  There is a peace that comes over me when I get to an empty beach or hike among the trees.  I breathe deeper.  I smile more.  I live in the moment, enjoying the beauty of it all.  I feel honoured to live in Canada where nature is so abundant and getting out into it can be as short as  trip to the back garden.  I need to do this more often.

9. I believe in unconditional love.  There is much to say on this topic which I will get into sometime in the future.  Deep love may end in deep grief but the pain is nothing in comparison to the value of that love.  What hasn’t killed me has made me stronger and I am thankful.

10. I believe in gratitude.  I think this is one of the most important lessons we can teach our children – to be thankful.  We are SO lucky to be here in Canada, living the life that we do.  It is easy to take it for granted.  Children live much in the present and think it is the end of the world if they don’t have the latest zhu zhu pet or Webkiz.  But we have food, shelter, friends and family who love us, health and education and so much more.  There are also the daily things to be grateful for.  Having someone share an umbrella in a downpour or being in a class that embraces diversity.  It is a perspective that leads to a happy life.

There you go.  Quite the long spiel but if you got to the bottom of it, you get the unofficial patience award.  I hope you “get” me a little better from these honest beliefs. 

There are lots of bloggers who are so worthy of the Honest Scrap Award.  Here are a few who I enjoy and would love to see what they honestly come up with if they are up to the challenge:

Allison at Bibliomama – a great writer and the one who inspired me to blog in the first place.

Mary Lynn at Riding in a Handbasket –a lovely blogger and she is nice enough to be a follower to my little blog.

My friend at Spirited Blessings – a remarkable mom and person who I wish lived closer.

7 comments:

  1. Did you believe that getting back to nature via dusty loud life-endangering Jockvale Road was worth it this morning? Sorry, I considered just saying thank-you for the award and not being a smartass, but it didn't feel honest. Um...thank-you :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank-you so much for the award! It may take me a few days, but I promise to try and drum up 10 honest things about myself!

    And now....I believe I have a craving for peanut butter and chocolate...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm visiting from Lynn's blog. Nice to "meet" another Ottawa blogger! I say "meet" but I'm actually in Gatineau. Hope we can still be friends. *wink*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leaving that comment JUST CRASHED MY BROWSER! Hmmm, maybe we can't be friends.

    (just kidding)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Allison - Nothing *hack* says welcome to *wheeze* nature like a hike along a busy road next to a construction *sniff* site. Next tiem we ride in a/c comfort to the nature trail!

    Mary Lynn - You deserve it! Have fun writing when ever you get around to it and meanwhile, pass the PB & C.

    Amy - Thanks for stopping by! Sorry about crashing you - must be the Gatineau thing. Loved reading your blog and browsing your wonderful photos. I also loved reading about Nataniel and your beautiful video. We have an angel son too who I have yet to write about. All in good time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Pam! Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment. So nice to virtually meet another newbie blogger. Really liking your blog by the way. I didn't get those exact Honest Scrap rules, so I guess my posting was a bit different. oh well.

    Another thanks for adding me to your blogroll. I gotta figure out how to do that on my blog -- when I do, you'll be there :) I notice that I don't appear as Ninja Mom under your blogroll, but rather "Highly trained, etc". Is this something that's generated automatically, or would you be able to change the name? Branding is everything, heh, heh!

    Anyway, keep writing and I'll keep reading!
    Ninja Mom

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for playing along Pam. I love that I know you in real life and that you are just as beautiful in person as you are in your words. I am so happy that Bibliomama got you into blogging and that we can extend our friendship beyond the schoolyard.

    ReplyDelete